Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Boomer Travel Confessions and Fundamentals, Part One

Yellowstone National Park, (c) 2018 Sondra Singer

A Bit of Background 

Hello!  I hope you enjoy this journey and that it helps you to plan your trips.

I never traveled extensively when I was younger. I hitchhiked across the country once with my ex-husband when he was still my boyfriend, but that's another story for another time. When I was married to him for 22 years, my husband was only interested in the Caribbean. He was a sailor, and was not interested in visiting anywhere that didn't have an ocean. So I did learn some about Jamaica, Grand Cayman, the British Virgin Islands in the 1980's and 90's, some places along the coast of Mexico, as well as the West coast of Florida along the Intracoastal Waterway. But, by now, I'm sure a lot has changed. Since then, I've been to Costa Rica in the '90's (my first trip post divorce), South Africa in 2004 with about 60 storytellers on a cultural exchange, and a few scattered trips with friends to New Mexico, Utah, and Mexico.

My sales job was very stressful, but since I didn't always have the time to travel and didn't want to travel much alone, I kept most of my vacations to visiting my parents in Florida, so I could rest by the pool or the beach. I'd also been to the Grand Canyon and some National Parks in Utah. And, special interest trips to camps for music and arts regionally.

I'd always wanted to travel to great places in Europe. But, my ex-husband had no interest, and I didn't have friends who had that as a priority until recent years.

In 2011, I planned a cultural trip to Ireland to learn about the ancient spirituality there, organized by a friend. But a hurricane large enough to close Newark Airport, along with a travel agent who sold us bulk tickets without our knowledge (resulting in no airline wanting to help us get there once our original flight was canceled) killed that adventure. I don't know how we could have avoided the problem, as the travel agent wasn't being honest with us, but I can tell you some other things to avoid, and questions to ask. Fortunately, I had travel insurance that paid me back. For that reason I recommend never doing a big trip without it.

In 2014, right before I met my significant other, Andy, I went with some people on a whirlwind trip to London, Vienna, and Dubrovnik - none of them cities that I'd intended to visit, but it got me to Europe for the first time.  That is a story in itself, and perhaps I'll write a post about that trip and what not to do, even when desperate to travel, in this blog, at some point. But, here's a tip:

Beware With Whom You Travel

Don't travel with people who have different priorities and interests than you do, unless you've really thought it through!  Best to travel with people who have similar interests and expectations.  I like to engage with the places I travel, not just drive by, and I have interest in the arts and culture of the places I go. Then, there are the temperaments of the people you travel with. Best to travel with people you know well, and with whom you can communicate. Those are just some considerations when deciding with whom to travel on a self-guided trip. Or go with an organized group, where you can find those who are simpatico with you.

Context For This Blog

Now that I'm retired and in a committed relationship, my boyfriend and I are doing our best to get out there. He is still working, but flexible, as he's self-employed. We both have financial limitations, so look for bargain flights and hotels when we go long distances, and "glamp" when we can drive, typically to National Parks. Perhaps we can all learn together how to see great sites without losing our shirts!

"Travel," as Mark Twain said in Innocents Abroad, "is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." With this I agree. Especially if one is always surrounded by people who look like them and think like them. Travel, even to areas of the U.S. that are unfamiliar and more diverse, could help this country's current divisions. But I digress.

This blog will encompass everything from preparations for a trip, to observations, to tips. I will talk about past trips, and then discuss new ones as they come up. We may have to save for a while to go back to Europe, but the next post will start with our trip to London in April of 2018, from which we just returned.

First, a bit more about us, and some information that could be valuable if you want to see America's natural wonders.

About Us

Andy and I are in our '60's. I've told you a bit about me. Andy had traveled a bit in the U.S., including Hawaii, and a bit in Mexico, but had always wanted to see more of the world and of this country. We met 4 years ago, and soon started traveling, first visiting relatives in different parts of the U.S., then spreading our wings. We've been to 6 National Parks since we met: Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, Saguaro in Tucson, AZ, Yosemite in California, Yellowstone and Grand Teton in Wyoming. We've also stayed relatively cheaply in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I may retrace some of our steps and share some tips from those trips later on. But, here's the biggest tip for those of us older than 62.
  
National Parks Senior Pass

With the National Park Service Senior Pass (the price has since gone up, but still a bargain for seniors at $80 lifetime pass!) and senior discount for camping, this is the best way to see the country, especially if you love the outdoors, as we do. You must be 62 years or older, and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. You don't have to hike or exert too much if you're unable to, you can drive through most, and some have shuttles than can take you to the major sites. We like to engage with the parks, so we walk or ride bikes as much as possible.   Go to www.nps.gov for more information.


Reserve camping well in advance for the summer, either online or on the phone. But even if you're just now planning, try looking at National Forests for campsites, as well. They, too, honor the pass, and some are nearby to National Parks. We also ask for discounts wherever we go. Membership in AARP and AAA can come in very handy for this. More on this later.

I never would have been a "camper" if not for Andy. My friends have been amazed that I can travel in a small trailer or pop-up camper, as I'm not known for roughing it! In the past, I'd say, give me a nice hotel or at least a motel room, or I'll stay home. But that's when I was working, making good money, and at one point, had an expense account!  Even then, though, there were restrictions. Groupon can be a help to get there now, if I really need a nice hotel fix, but since traveling with Andy, I haven't felt the need.

If you can relate to any of this, I hope you'll follow my blog and add your insights. Perhaps we can learn to travel thriftily together!

In service,

Sondra 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plan You Best First Trip to London!

What? Plan?  2019 (c) Sondra Singer Westminster, near the Abbey, Parliament, and Big Ben 2018 (c) Sondra Singer Again, we are t...